12 Part Blog Description

Are you looking to learn as much as you can about the business of sports licensing? Then please read the 12 Part "An Insider's Guide to the World of Licensed Sports Products in 12 Parts: Practical Lessons from the Trenches" - all 12 parts of the blog can be found within this site. Click here to start with the Introduction.

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

I want to become a sports product licensee - How can I learn more about licensing sports products?

My name is Scott Sillcox and I am a sports licensing expert - not a claim you hear too many people make. I really am quite lucky to do what I really love - meet with people and talk to them about sports product licensing. It doesn't get much better than that. Each and every day of the week I get contacted by entrepreneurs of all ages - people with a burning desire to see a product idea come to life. And while these people may be young or old, from the US deep south or Australia, Nova Scotia or San Diego, what they almost all have in common is a lack of first-hand knowledge about sports licensing. And that's where I come in...



In the calendar year 2016, I'd like to meet with as many of these entrepreneurs as possible, and to that end I will be doing three separate tours and visiting 20 cities across North America. The fall 2016 tour runs from late September to early December and the ten cities I'll be visiting are shown below. While in each city, I will be meeting with people who want to learn more about sports product licensing.

While in each city, I will be meeting face-to-face with people who want to learn more about sports product licensing. If you are considering going through the process of acquiring a sports license(s), or if you are considering working with an existing licensee, you should strongly consider meeting with me live and in person. If you have been dreaming about your product and the opportunity it represents for months, maybe years – now’s the time to move your idea forward! Take advantage of me coming to a city near you.

1. You can meet with me for a full day session – from 8:30am – 5:00pm - just you and me (or you and your team if you wish). The full day one-on-one session fee is $1500.

2. You can meet with me for a half day session (4.5 hours) – either in the morning or the afternoon. This half-day session is also one-on-one - just you (or your team) and me. The half day session fee is $900.





The cities and dates for the fall 2016 tour are:
1. Sept 27 - 29 (Tues - Thurs): Chicago
2. Oct 4 - 6 (Tues - Thurs): Atlanta
3. Oct 12 - 14 (Wed - Fri): Cleveland & Columbus, OH
4. Oct 17 - 18 (Mon - Tues): Boston
5. Oct 19 - 21 (Wed - Fri): Princeton NJ & NYC area
6. Oct 18 - 20 (Tues - Thurs): Dallas
7. Nov 1 - 3 (Tues - Thurs): Washington DC
8. Nov 8 - 10 (Tues - Thurs): Ft. Lauderdale FL
9. Nov 28 - 29 (Mon - Tues): Las Vegas
10. Nov 30 - Dec 2 (Wed - Fri): Los Angeles
Possible other cities: Seattle, St. Louis, Charlotte NC

I can send you a suggested meeting agenda - just ask - but because our one-on-one time together will be totally focused on your needs and your story, no two sessions are ever the same so the agenda is highly flexible.

If your city is not listed above and you would like me to come to you, I’m happy to go almost anywhere in the continental US or Canada as long as you book a full day session and pay a one-time all-inclusive travel fee of $500. Thus for a flat fee of $2000 I will come right to your door and spend a full day with you.





To register, simply call me, Scott Sillcox, at 416-315-4736 or email me at ssillcox@rogers.com and book your face-to-face time - you can lock-in a confirmed session right over the phone.

Many thanks for your interest in sports licensing and I hope I get a chance to meet with you some time in 2016.

Scott

17 comments:

  1. Your blog contains realy very great information, Thank you for your efforts.Official Licensed Collegiate Products

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Steve - I never thanked you for you kind words. If there are still unanswered questions, let me know!

      Thanks -
      Scott

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Many thanks for taking the time to read and then comment -
      Scott

      Delete
  3. Ultimately, though, a company’s decision to seek a license is based on several factors. Manufacturers should ask and answer several questions before diving in, including: Does the license bring value and differentiation to its portfolio? Will the license open retail doors? Is it relevant to its product? Is the licensing process clear? and Will the deal help grow the bottom line? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good point Zach - licensing is definitely not for everyone!!!
    Thanks - Scott

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really glad to get this kind of useful information.I am very grateful and must thank to Mr.Scott Sillcox
    Web Design Company Bangalore | Web Development Company Bangalore

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is very good information a really nice blog. keep it up!!!



    Playboy Brand License & Harper’s Bazaar Licensing

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have always wondered how sports stores get all the different sports items from all the different brands? I wonder if I could ever start a sports gear store? How hard is it to get a deal with all the name brand companies like Adidas, Nike and Coleman etc?

    bryanflake1984| http://playitagainsportschicagoburbs.com/equipment/category/5193/northbrook

    ReplyDelete
  8. i am jus now hearing about this and i stay in the Chicago area. Will you be touring this city again soon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi -

      I just replied to your note directly by email. The short answer is that at this stage in time my fall 2014 tour is basically over, so I am now suggesting that people interested in a workshop consider my workshop being held in Las Vegas Jan 13 and again on Jan 14. The attractive thing about this timing is that the Sports Licensing & Tailgate Show is held Jan 14-16/15 in Las Vegas so someone could attend my workshop and the show at the same time.

      Thanks -
      Scott

      Delete
  9. Most inventors dream of licensing their new product, but to many of them, that licensing deal remains elusive. Why is that? Well, licensing is hard, especially when you don't understand what motivates companies to license products.Suppliers Manufacturers trade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a great comment - remember, you need them a lot more than they need you.
      Scott

      Delete
  10. As long as you are willing to share a little bit about your idea, a small group workshop like this really works well and you will leave highly energized and highly motivated and most importantly, you will have been able to get answers to virtually all of your licensing questions.

    international drivers license India

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Scott,

    My company is licensed for over 24 NCAA schools but would like to pursue the NBA. Do you know if the licensing for the NBA is by individual teams (like NCAA) or do you have to produce all 32 teams like I hear the nfl requires. Thanks for any help. Maybe I'll catch you while we are in Vegas next month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tyler -

      Many thanks for the note/question and if you zap me an email directly (ssillcox at rogers dot com) I'd be happy to answer you directly on this one.

      Thanks!
      Scott

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to add a comment - all input is welcome, especially the constructive kind! All the best - Scott